Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Is dog walking right for you?


Being a successful petsitter means being flexible. It also means keeping track of lots of little details. Over the years, I have gotten all kinds of requests. Some are simple details like, “please use the service elevator only” to “please, change my dog’s diaper.” Yes, some dogs wear diapers. Each time I hear something specific I make a mental note, a physical note, but also update our client records on those details. That way any sitter filling in has the latest information on each pet. I take all requests seriously no matter how unusual they might seem.

To some, petsitting might seem like an “easy” job or a fun one. What people don’t realize is that despite the fun that comes with bonding with your pet, there’s a lot to keep straight. There’s allergies, medications, behavioral issues, destructiveness...the list goes on and on. I can’t even count how many times people will come up to me and say, “I wish I could quit my job and just become a dog walker. You have it so easy.” Anyone who juggles a full route, can tell you it’s definitely not as easy it seems. Don’t get me wrong, I do think I have one of the coolest jobs on the planet. I just know not everyone is cut out for this. First, there is the handling. A lot of people who have had dogs as pets think they are dog experts. Just because you were a loving pet owner doesn’t mean dog walking is for you. You have to imagine the biggest, most unruly dog and ask yourself if you’re willing to go into a house with alarms going off, the dog barking and the key getting stuck in the door. The reason? You may encounter this. Granted, it may not be all at once, but we have these kinds of days. You have to be prepared and accept the possibility of being bit. Generally, most companies will not accept a client with a people-aggressive dog, but some slip through the cracks. I can tell you it’s a rare thing, but we’ve all been bit once or twice.

The other big issue is being calm under fire. Sometimes dog walking is super rewarding and other times it feels like a thankless job. What I mean is, a lot of pet owners forget to acknowledge us when everything is going smoothly, but are quick to point out when we mess up. We are only human and yes, things go wrong. But, I am a firm believer in owning up to your mistakes and communicating with the client right away. It eliminates a lot of frustration and hassle down the road. One of the biggest complaints I hear about other sitters is that they don’t keep the client in the loop. Just think about how you would feel if you left town and you didn’t even get a text from the sitter to say they made it to your house ok? I really hate leaving someone wondering. A quality sitter will always communicate. In addition, sending updates with pictures and video will make the client feel extra comfortable. After all, smart phones make this a lot easier. When I started dog walking all we used were pagers. I don’t know how I got around, which leads me to my next point.

A good sitter is a well-prepared sitter. I always map out my route to the client’s house ahead of time via google maps either on the computer or my iPhone. It will tell you about how long it will take to get there and give you directions. I always look it up again right before leaving the house because the timing could have changed due to traffic or some unforeseen circumstance. In LA, there’s always some unforeseen circumstance, so it’s best to check. Smart phones and GPS systems are a lifesaver, especially for a sitter who is new to the area.

Another important attribute is paying attention. A good dog walker doesn’t text, read books or listen to their headphones while walking your pet. Granted, we’ve all had something come through that we couldn’t wait to answer, but it’s best to be fully focused on the pet you are caring for. Often times, just being alert has helped me avoid a dog fight or a dog eating something they shouldn’t. In the Los Angeles area there’s also coyotes who are not shy of humans, so it’s especially important to be alert during dusk. I also try to look over a pet’s body at some point. I can’t tell you how many times I have noticed an injury, a wart or a tick on a pet. Going back to communication, it’s important you tell the pet parent about it and/or your company right away if you think it’s something serious.

Lastly, you need to know how you would deal with a dog dying or getting terribly sick in your care. It’s not something we like to think about, but it is a possibility. I have had puppies go into seizures in front of me. It’s scary, but you have to know what to do and how to stay calm. Some sitters take CPR classes to better prepare for emergency situations.


These are just some of the aspects of petsitting that most people probably don’t think about. If you’re still intrigued about being a sitter, than I say try it out. But, remember the more detail-oriented you are the better. These are lives we are dealing with. It’s a much more delicate situation than messing up someone’s latte order. If you still think you want to do it, I say go for it. You’ll know right away if you feel comfortable.

Contributed by our dog walker extraordinaire, Mary C.

No comments:

Post a Comment